Sunday, January 15, 2012

That Demon Rock N' Roll

"Devil music." What is it, exactly? Is it music accompanied by lyrics which expressly discuss worshiping Satan? Is it music with lyrics that denounce organized religion? Or is it anything with an electric guitar, two bass drums, and aggressive vocals?

Because there is a difference. And just because a person, or band, denounces religion does not mean they worship the devil. In fact that'd be very hypocritical, now wouldn't it? And in some cases, the message in heavy metal songs is quite positive. Hatebreed's "Perseverance" for example, is about never giving up no matter what life throws at you. Five Finger Death Punch often sing about the lack of honesty and honor in today's society, and they really do support our military.

People like metal because they can identify with it, and it provides an outlet for pent up frustration and anger. I certainly can't let go of my negative energy by listening to Jason Aldean. I need something that expresses how I feel at the moment, like Slayer or older songs by The Casualties. And when I need to dominate like a boss, I put on some Sabaton (or The Imperial March). Metal provides an emotional outlet that other genres just can't touch (except punk rock).

Oh and may I add that while you may think that Dying Fetus is the devil, I can assure they're not singing about shooting people, gang activities, doing drugs, killing cops, prostitution, and smacking women around. Maybe you should think about THAT while you judge the music I like, while your 10 year old is listening to rap.

And with that, I bring you, Five Finger Death Punch.

1 comment: