Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why I Can't Stock New Releases In 30 Minutes

Back in the day, when I was actually allowed to work the electronics department in a relatively undisturbed manner, management would basically leave me alone on Monday nights because they knew I had to put out new releases. I enjoyed this very much because A) they left me alone, and B) they couldn't pull me to do some inane task another associate could do.

Nowadays, it's the same "Hurry up I need you to do [insert department here]!" Uh, I know my release load has died down drastically from what it was, but it still takes most of the night to put them out. Firstly, I can't start until midnight. The store (and possibly me) could get in trouble for street date violations. Now, I can do maybe 2 small departments before then, but not 3.

So here's the breakdown:
10:00 - clock in, nightly shift meeting
10:15ish - 11:50 - do whatever I'm assigned
11:50 - go get new releases
12:00 - 12:15 - first break
12:15 - 2:00 - print floorplan and mod labels (if they're not done already), change mod on new release end cap, stock new release end cap
2:00 - 3:00 - lunch
3:00 - 4:30ish - reset mod for GM cart rail, stock cart rail
4:30ish - 5:00 - plug holes, clean up
5:00 - 5:15 - second break
5:15 - 7:00 - zone electronics plus whatever other departments they tell me

As you can see, this is mostly an all night task. And there's only one of me. When my sidekick Melisa was working with me, we could get in done in half the time, plus the new release in-line, TV new releases, and games. But she got a fancy pants promotion, so now it's just me. And guess what? This HAS to get done. The customers expect it. The store manager expects it. However, I have no problem telling him that you decided that stocking the crafts department was a better use of my abilities, and have YOU explain to him why it didn't get done. And believe me, I'm doing it as fast as I can. I've done this enough times, I've got a system, but I won't fuck it up so I can go stock knitting needles and flower arrangement supplies. That is not my priority right now, and it shouldn't be held against me. I am not the only associate capable of doing that. But I AM the only associate who knows how to do this PROPERLY. And also, I'm rather busy right now.

So if you'd kindly get off my back and let me do what I do [dominate like a boss], then we'd all have a much better night, and I won't want to smack you with my set of keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment