Monday, January 23, 2012

Why I Like My Job

A lot of folks look down on those of us that are in Walmart's employ. Not so much in the "Oh, you must not be able to do better" way, but in the "Wow, you work there? That SUCKS, lol" way. People assume that I would hate my job because they do. But actually, I don't. In fact, I quite enjoy what I do.

As strange as it may sound, I like stocking, probably because it's an activity that caters to my meticulous nature. My brain likes to be busy. I reckon after having been conditioned to be through numerous years of schooling this would make sense. I could NEVER be a cashier or people greeter for exactly this reason (that and I'd be standing in the same spot all day). I think this may be an underlying reason why I didn't like working in produce; it was literally the same thing every day. The only thinking part what deciding what you needed off the truck. And it's one reason why I love(d) working electronics. I was always helping customers, whether they just needed to know where something was, or how to play the music on their phone through their radio. As far as zoning is concerned, that's never "exciting," but it is more so when I'm zoning a department versus all the end caps or action alley displays. My brain is like "OMG I COULD BE BINNING ELECTRONICS INSTEAD OF THIS CRAP. FUUUUU---!"

My job allows me an outlet in which I can be meticulous, neat, and orderly without be labeled OCD or whatever. Others may try to shove the extra 4 items that clearly won't fit in the shelf up there, whereas I refuse to do so. I will not put up extra freight and have the department(s) I'm working look like shit. I can't stand when people do that. Take a look at the shipping/packaging tape in stationary and you'll see what I mean.

And it helps that I have awesome co-workers. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think your job could be fun .... especially working at night. While it may suck sometimes it is way better than having to be there with a crowd of people asking you a zillion questions. I just started my new blog .... check it out. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help that we're not surrounded by customers. If we were I don't think we could get anything done. Also, folks are less likely to complain at 3 a.m. I hope this blog is successful for you. :)

      Delete