Monday, February 6, 2012

You Are Not A Special Snowflake!

My shifts are usually fairly uneventful. Despite working overnight, I don't get a whole lot of "crazies" or anything like that. Even drunk people are few and far between (but we have some, it's the talk of the store). I chalk it up to the area my store is in.

At most, I get awkward conversations with customers. Like last night. A customer came in and inquired as to the price of a desk and file cabinet that was on display. First off let me just say that I do NOT work in the furniture department, but as it's right across from electronics it never fails that a customer (or an associate) will ask me questions about furniture. Naturally, I assist the customer as best I can, but to associates I just shrug and tell them "IDK I don't work furniture." They're smart, they can figure it out! ANYWAY. Dude comes in, who's fairly regular, and always nice to me, and asks about prices.

Customer: How much is this desk? Does it come as one piece?
Me: The desk is $149 and the file cabinet it $69, sir. They're separate.
Customer: *pulls box with desk in it off shelf, inspects box* Is it (the desk) damaged?
Me: No sir. (Box is in fact intact, no signs of damage whatsoever.)
Customer: Can you give me discount?
Me: No sir, I can't.
Customer: *looks around as if searching for a damaged box* ......Can you give me discount?
Me: No sir, I don't have that authority.
Customer: Hmm.

Customer decides he wants the desk, and I help him load it into his cart, and he's off on his merry way. I would like to know why he thought I had X-ray vision and could tell if the desk was damaged or not without opening the box. I could have opened the box, but most likely that would have led him to pull out each individual piece and inspect it for damage. Frankly I don't have time for that. Also, this is not Haynes. We do not haggle on the price of furniture, or anything for that matter. Lastly, you cannot get random discounts on whatever because YOU feel you're entitled to one. My manager would have to approve it anyways, so it's not even up to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment