Saturday, March 10, 2012

Venting Session

Work's been pretty overwhelming lately. More so emotionally overwhelming, and by that I mean that things have been happening that tension has kind of been mounting for me.

First there was my promotion to the Mod Team, which I got pretty excited about. Yay, learning new things and a Sunday - Thursday schedule! WRONG. I have yet to help set a single mod (and there's been a lot dropping), and Co-Manager, who makes the schedule, has apparently decided that I will have the Mod Team schedule when it isn't inconvenient to him. So I'm back to having who-knows-what days off and they don't let me work on mods. Why even bother giving me the position if you don't actually plan on having me do the job?

Lately I've been assigned at least 3 departments to stock every night. These are relatively small departments, so no big deal. However, when they add toys to the mix, plus running picks for all 4 departments by 5:00 a.m., it gets nuts. There literally is not enough time for me to get everything done. And basically, I can do pretty much everything: Stock, work the fresh departments, bin, picking, work electronics, run a register, handle pick-up-today orders, pretty much everything shy of being licensed to operate the forklift. And yet, I get no recognition for that. No Associate of the Month, no certificate of appreciation Co-Manager sometimes gives out, not even a shout out in the next shift meeting. Nothing. Except more expectations. The promotion I got doesn't even mean anything to me because nothing has changed.

Add to that the feeling of inadequacy after seeing a dude who's been there 8 months get promoted to Support Manager (the highest hourly position, one step below Assistant Manager), when I've been there over a year, and I know others who have been wanting that position, and well, it's like "Why do I bother?" It's a double edged sword. I'm happy that management has such confidence in me, but assigning me what seems like the entire GM side to run, promoting me to a position I never get to do, taking away ANY opportunity of working electronics even just for one night, and not even giving me a sliver of appreciation is really beginning to get on my nerves. If I'm so fucking good at what I do, WHY DON'T I HAVE SOMETHING TO SHOW FOR IT?

No comments:

Post a Comment