Friday, May 11, 2012

Do Not Pray For Me, For It's You That Needs Saving

First let me say that I have no issues whatsoever with people choosing to believe in a religion. This is not intended as an attack on anyone's faith whatsoever. I hope that this will at least make you think.

Frankly, I don't understand why some folks think that their religious beliefs give them a right to tell others how they should live. I'm not speaking on religious war, more like the day-to-day interactions we make with other humans as we go about our business.
Here's an example:













The condescending nature of the original post irked me, and I felt compelled to reply. First of all, such a post comes across as judgmental, and, dare I say, ignorant. Do I think abortion is ok? No. I have my own moral objections to such an act. Do I pass judgement on women who decide to go that route? No. Because it's none of my goddamn business. It is a decision that she, her god if she believes in one, and the father (if he is involved), must deal with. She will have to live with that decision. To call a woman selfish because she chooses to do something that, to whatever degree, she feels is best for her, is a slap in the face to women everywhere. In this case, the attitude is one of "You aren't doing what I believe/have been told is right, so therefore you are below me." It's fine if you want to think that, you have every right to. But I also have the right to believe that you are being an ass. And excuse me, but "He is not a god of condemnation?!" I nearly spit out my coffee all over my laptop upon reading that! Bible-thumping Christians have been saying, nay, YELLING that homosexuals will forever be damned to Hell...because "God said so." So apparently, God will forgive you for terminating a pregnancy, but will damn a man because he loves another man. How does that even begin to make sense?

I don't understand why some people believe that they have any business telling other folks how they should live. Frankly, it pisses me off that some will do this, and then hide behind their religion as a means to justify their douchebaggery. And that is where my problem with religion lies (I have others but that is the main one). Those that use their religion as an excuse for being ignorant asshats should be ashamed of their behavior. They should also be aware that it drives people away from religion, not towards it.

There was a time when I used to think life was either A or B. But thankfully I've grown and matured since then, and have come to realize that that's not how it is. Sometimes it's C, and sometimes it's even "all of the above." Shit happens, and what is ideal is often not the reality. I think a lot of people forget that. And if you're going to judge a person based on a decision that has nothing to do with you, you better make sure you're the spitting image of perfection my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment