Saturday, May 5, 2012

Rammstein Odyssey Part 3: Das Konzert

Yes now we get to the good part! Get yourself a beer or something 'cause it's a long one.

Upon arriving at the venue, we waited in line for about 30-45 minutes, even ended up chillin' with a fellow Richmonder in the line. :) I was pretty anxious by this time and kept fiddling with my phone. Once we were inside we raided the merch booth, and I bought a tour shirt and hat, and Kenny bought a shirt as well but wouldn't wear it. I demanded that he do so, telling him I would not be seen at a Rammstein concert with someone who wasn't wearing proper attire. He put it on. Smart man.








So we had about an hour to kill once we got our seats. The show was slated to start at 8:00, but actually started at 8:30. I'd heard of this happening at previous shows, but as of yet I have no idea why. Anyway. I made this video before the show, cleverly titled "Killin' Time And Being Waaayy Too Excited." I love my phone but the audio sucks when I play back videos. Oh and I bought the most expensive Miller Lite of my life.

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic




The opening act was Joe Letz (of Combichrist), playing remixes of Rammstein songs to get us all hyped up (like I needed any more encouragement).


At 9:00, Rammstein made their entrance. They opened with "Sonne," (YAY! :D) and pretty much stuck to the songs that are on the Made In Germany album, except the didn't play "Mein Land" (saaad panda), and included "Sehnsucht," "Asche Zu Asche," and "Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen?" Even though we were in the lower concourse, we could feel the heat from the flames! The guy that sat in front of us had too much to drink. He kept "Woooo!"-ing at random intervals and being very dramatic. It was actually pretty funny.

Till's got a Rammstein flag, and Richard's holding the Maryland state flag.






The flame thrower masks during "Feuer Frei!"


Till "cooking" Flake during "Mein Teil." A regular flame thrower was not satisfactory enough, so he went and got a monster that had a fuel tank about the size of, well, I guess what looked like 2 fire extinguishers!




Flake in the boat during "Haifisch."


For "Engel," Till wore a pair of fucking huge, steel angel wings.


Which, not surprisingly, shot out flames.


At the end, Till thanked us and said we were "truly amazing." :)


I managed to snag a piece of confetti from when they performed "Amerika."


And finally, my merch.





All in all, it was a very epic experience. To see Rammstein after a very long wait was enough, but to see them on their "best of" tour made it even more special. Add to that sharing it with my BFF, along with epic touristy stuff (and Mohawks!), and you get an unforgettable memory. I can't wait to do it again, but next time we'll be in the pit. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment