Wednesday, May 2, 2012

When I Grow Up I Want To...

Most folks know by the time the graduate college what they want to do as far as a career is concerned. Some are even lucky enough to start that career right after graduating.


And then there's people like me, who flail about post-high school trying to figure out what exactly it is that we want to do.


First I wanted to be an actor, so I took drama classes from 7th - 11th grade. But my interests changed senior year and I focused more on photography and German, as my new ideal career was a translator, and photography was just fun! Plus I realized that I could never get parts in the plays as long as Matt Carr was auditioning because apparently he was God's gift to the Theater Department. So yeah, German translator. Then I realized that, aside from VCU, somewhere I couldn't afford to go, nobody offered German classes! D: Well, J. Sargent Reynolds did (I went there for a semester hoping to take that class), but the class got cancelled due to not having enough students. FML.


So I transferred to JTCC, and took general classes until I decided that I wanted to go after a degree in Police Science (aka Criminal Justice). I did enjoy it, was interested in it, and at least it could get me somewhere in the future. I honestly thought I would be going in law enforcement, I was even invited to test with my county's police department, and then I realized that field wasn't right for me. I couldn't exactly explain why, but it just didn't seem to fit.


Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. My Customer Service Manager asked me what I wanted in life. I asked for clarification, and he asked me what kind of career I wanted. I told him, "Well, my short term goal is to manage the electronics department, but other than that I'm still trying to figure that out." Which is true. Though I'm happy at Walmart and have opportunities to make a career out of it, I do want something more than that.


So I asked myself, "Self, what is it that you've always wanted to do?" And I said, "Work on a ship."


More specifically, I want to work security on a ship. I've wanted to do that since I was 12. The travel opportunities, the freedom of the open ocean, all without having to do push-ups to get it like the Navy would have me do (I still love you though, U.S. Navy). And I like traveling, I just hardly ever get the opportunity to do so. I've found a place in Virginia Beach, Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy, that offers a maritime security course for $500. This seems realistic if I save my bonuses.


Who knows where this will ultimately lead. It's an ending that I can't write, but one that I hope I can enjoy getting to.

No comments:

Post a Comment